Everything was great until I pulled out the fabric. I forgot that I'd bought crepe-back satin, and not regular crepe. Lovely. I had already traced the pattern onto plastic (while one of my cats supervised - see below), and still wanted to make the dress. I probably could have used the crepe-back satin, but wanted to save it for something else. I remembered that I'd bought some turquoise-bluish-greenish crepe a few months ago. Luckily, I had enough to use it for the dress!
This wouldn't do. I don't want to walk around looking like I just stepped out of Surgical Suite D. Plus, the length really wasn't flattering on me. 4 inches shorter and a cinch at the waist, and the problem was solved:
So much better! However, I wish I'd extended the facing on both the front and back. The fabric is slightly see-through due to the lighter tone, an it's pretty obvious where the facing ends. I had thought about extending the facing when I was first tracing the pattern, but decided not to. I should have listened to my gut and extended it. I'm considering cutting a new facing and switching it out.
This actually turned out to be a very simple, but also very cute little dress. It's not perfect (we are talking about me, after all), but it's better than a hospital gown. I tried it on, and liked it so much that I decided to take a picture of myself wearing it (which I almost never do).
|Please excuse the horrid lighting and spots on my bathroom mirror. How awful! I styled the belt differently than on the dress form to show some versatility : )|