I first established a grid of 5/8" teal ribbon with gradient-like spacing. After stapling one end of the ribbon, I measured its distance from the edge of the canvas. I stapled the other end of the ribbon the same distance from the edge of the canvas on the other side, to ensure the ribbons went on straight.
I wove the horizontal ribbons in and out of the vertical ribbons to establish the grid. Next, I added different widths and colors to achieve the effect I wanted. Please disregard the variances in color between the pics - my overhead lighting is terrible! The pics of the basic ribbon grid below are the most true-to-color.
I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. This was a fairly cheap and easy project to throw together, and I was able to customize it to my décor. It would be cute to do a plaid, stripes, or even diagonal lines. So many possibilities, and so easy to achieve!